ABOUT BIXI MONTRÉAL
BIXI Montreal is a non-profit organization created by the City of Montreal to manage its bike-sharing system. As of spring 2021, the network will include 7,400 standard bikes and 1,900 electric BIXI bikes throughout Montréal, as well as in Westmount, Montréal-Est, Mont-Royal, Longueuil and Laval. Much more than just a simple mode of transport, BIXI is now a great way to zip around the city whenever you want to go wherever your heart desires.
BIXI Montréal, an active mode of transportation contributing to the health and well-being of Montrealers.
To be recognized as a key player in Montreal’s public transit system.
Excellence - Integrity - Customer Relations - Social Responsibility - Respect – Collaboration
World-renowned industrial designer Michel Dallaire was entrusted with the design of the physical components. Bike design elements were then carried over to the technical platforms, bike docks and pay stations, with the aim of harmoniously blending into their urban environment. In cooperation with Saguenay-based manufacturer Cycles Devinci, the bikes were created to be easy to handle, with clean lines and a sleek look that would in no way compromise their sturdiness and safety. The rounded frame was inspired by a boomerang. A BIXI borrowed will always come back to its rightful place!
Origin of the name
The BIXI name comes from a contraction of the words ‘bicycle’ and ‘taxi.’ It was created by Michel Gourdeau following a contest asking Montrealers to help identify the bike. The contest generated 8,896 different name ideas.
BIXI takes action on a daily basis to minimize the effects of its operations on the environment and to ensure that economic, social and environmental factors are taken into consideration with regards to its activities. Our users are contributing to our mission by choosing an environmentally-friendly method of transportation that reduces greenhouse gas emissions and promotes physical activity and a healthy lifestyle. BIXI is proud to have implemented an environmentally responsible procurement policy.Our sustainable development strategy revolves around four actions:
- Adapting BIXI's decision-making process with regards to sustainable development
- Being a responsible employer
- Promoting the concept of bike-sharing to Montrealers
- Strengthening BIXI's position as part of Montreal's public transit service
- ABB Canada
- Aéroports de Montréal
- Autobus Groupe Séguin
- Boivin Evolution
- City of Chicago
- City of Kingston
- City of Los Angeles
- City of Montreal
- City of Philadelphia
- City of Seattle
- Communauté métropolitaine de Montréal
- Consolidated Edison Company of New York
- Department of Citywide Administrative Services
- Derichebourg group
- Développement économique Canada
- Dunsky Energy + Climate Advisors
- Fonds de solidarité FTQ
- Google Cloud
- Innovative Vehicle Institute
- Intelligent Transportation Society of America (ITS America)
- Investissement Québec International
- La Compagnie Électrique Lion
- Lithion Recycling
- McKinsey & Co.
- Michigan State University College of Engineering
- Moov AI
- Orange Traffic
- Quebec City
- Smart Columbus
- Téo Taxi
- The Climate Group
- The International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT)
- The Lion Electric Co.
- Transit app